Foods You Can Eat, But Should Never Feed Your Dog

Many people love sharing everything with their dogs, including their food. They fail to realize that human and dog anatomy are different. Dogs are much smaller than humans and their bodies don’t absorb certain food items as quickly and efficiently as the human body.

This difference is the main reason why certain foods that are perfectly suitable for human consumption are toxic to dogs, posing a serious threat to their health and well-being.

As a pet boarding facility in Marin County, your pet’s health is our top priority. To help you keep your pet safe at home, here are some foods you should never feed your dog.

Raisins and Grapes

A favorite snack for many people, grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Many experts believe that a dog’s body cannot metabolize the tannins, monosaccharides, and flavonoids in grapes.

Grapes and raisins affect a dog’s kidney functions, causing kidney damage and can even lead to acute kidney failure (and consequently, death). Some symptoms of raisin or grape toxicosis are loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting and foul breath.


Onions contain sulfoxides, which damage red blood cells, causing anemia. Certain dog breeds are more vulnerable than others. All parts of the onion plant, including the flesh and leaves, are toxic to dogs.


Chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid that can cause central system dysfunction in dogs. All types of chocolates, including dark chocolate, white chocolate, white milk, unsweetened baker’s chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate, are toxic to dogs.

Not only is the substance poisonous to dogs, but they also cannot metabolize it. Chocolate toxicity primarily depends on the dog’s size and the amount of chocolate consumed.

Wild Mushrooms

While different types of mushrooms sold in grocery stores are usually safe for dogs, wild mushrooms are toxic to them. Mushrooms are known to cause seizures, shock and even death in dogs. If you plant mushrooms in your backyard, remember to pull them up regularly. Be watchful of your pooch during treks, hikes and walks, and do not let them eat mushrooms. Monitored nature walks are one of the many services we offer at our pet boarding facility.

Macadamia Nuts 

It is exactly not known what makes macadamia nuts toxic to dogs. They can cause vomiting, hyperthermia, inflammation, weakness and loss of bodily functions in dogs. Weakness behind the hind legs is a common symptom of macadamia nut poisoning.


Like other members of the Allium genus including onion and garlic, leek contains thiosulfate and is highly toxic to dogs. In fact, a study lists it among the foods that cause most pet deaths.

Bridewell Hilltop Boarding Kennels is a renowned pet boarding facility in Marin County. Our trained staff closely monitor the diet of our guests. We never feed foods to pets that they cannot process. To schedule a facility tour, call (415) 897-5471.

Bridewell Hilltop Boarding Kennels & Cattery is dedicated exclusively to the care of dogs, cats, and small animals other than reptiles. Bridewell specializes in dog boarding, cat boarding, pet grooming and more for the areas of Novato, San Rafael and Marin County.